Friday, August 8, 2014

Still Small Voice

After being in Primary for more than a year now, I have gotten used to spending my time keeping kids quite, bribing with treats, and just trying to keep their attention long enough to teach them just a little.  
But because I am the chorister- I now sometimes get some Sunday's away from primary and am able attend Sunday School and Relief Society. 
I usually just look forward to this because I get to sit next to Craig for an extra hour, and come on- who wouldn't like that? 
But, for some reason- I had developed this 'dread' for attending these two meetings. 
I sometimes think as members of the church, we get into a ditch. 
I have heard way to many people complain about Sunday School or even how silly Relief Society can be. 
But, as I sat in those two meetings a couple of weeks ago- I found myself loving every minute. 
I found myself loving the many people sharing different opinions on the deep doctrine we were learning. 
I found myself learning more and more about a story I had, sadly, never heard. 
I found myself wishing I was more like the women in my Relief Society Presidency- selfless, loving, happy!- and above everything else- 
they were lite with the light of Christ. 

I took some notes as I sat in Sunday School that afternoon that I want to remember:

We were reading in 1 Kings 19:11-12
 
11 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord. And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake:
12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

Too often we only hear the earthquakes and the winds. We don't listen for the still small peaceful voice. But, we should. We need to dwell on the fact that we need to put God first. He will never leave us. He can guide us personally and perfectly. He is without flaw. He is our perfect example. 


Before starting this post today, I got a very disturbing phone call. My eyes and checks are soaked with tears, but I am not alone. I will never be alone. 
I have read this scripture over and over again. But after this phone call- it meant something different to me. 
We read that the winds came and broke down the rocks, then an earthquake, and then a fire. 
But then, after the fire- a still small voice.  
In this life, we knew that we would be thrown many curve balls. 
We agreed to face trials and we knew that they would be hard. 
But, before we passed through the veil- we also knew that we could overcome them- triumphantly. Let us try not to ignore that still small voice, even when we feel like it may be too hard for us to carry the light of Christ forward.
 
 photo Signature3.png
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10